ENGLISH IS FOR ELIZABETH

by - September 19, 2017

CULTURE

And well, I’m Ene Ijato, so that’s that then.








Despite our fierce claim to our culture, English is no stranger in our midst. We could hang our devotion to it on the British colonization or the fleet of Americanahs trouping back home after a few decades or less of flirting with America. Or we could also accuse our diversity and hold claim to the fact that English serves as common tongue.

                “Do you have an English name?” I continue to suffer through this dialogue. It is with no reservation this question gets lurched at me after introducing myself to an acquaintance. The dramatic nerve-wrecking pulling of my hair in my mind fights the affable smile that drags across my face as I spit back a reply. 

                Job interviews for positions the likes of radio hosting suffers us through the pretence of whose accent in more foreign and English most peppered with linguistic anecdotes soaring in pretentious falsettos (and there I thought the radio voice was a metaphor for artistic flair). We receive no praise on how beautifully our mother tongue has married its inflections to our accents, English here is like the billboard model free of imperfections.
I cringe when I hear Nigerians proudly state that their children are only allowed to speak English. I cringe at the ideals propagated in schools forbidding children from speaking any language other than English within the premises. English is a tool, because of its widespread global usage it will aid us in communication, but that is all. English is not our identity.


Neo-colonialism, scholars have skilfully worded this phenomenon. A flirtatious love affair that has remained savoured with disapproval, touching with our tongues and feigning distaste. Civility is judged by how western we present ourselves and even being African, Nigerian has been reduced to a single story –The story of the privileged elite be it the Afropolitan; the British Nigerian or American Nigerian. (whom are also Nigerians and Africans, do not misinterpret me.). Or the story of poverty scourging its way through the heart of Sub-Saharan Africa. But there’s also the story of the girl who went to school in Nigeria, grew up in Nigeria and lives in Nigeria but isn’t dying of starvation. There is no single story to Africaness. We need to tell it all.

There is culture, and there is civilization. Do these two go at heads against each other? Can you be one and still be the other, can you be both? We ask ourselves these questions and judge ourselves on our self-assumed opinions.

But there are truths we also subtly hide away from ourselves like the fact that our languages hadn’t been documented until civilization came to us. That a vast majority of our population couldn’t communicate with the rest of the world until civilization. The internet, mass media, electronic technology… the list goes on. Perhaps it is why the invigorated African in her/his search for a concrete footing to their becoming of self, have after a vivid history of how civilization came to us equated it to Europe. But civilization isn’t a race or continent or country irrespective of how it has been misconstrued to be Western or European. Some may have contributed to it more than others, the majority of pre-colonial Africa least of all but civilization has always been a universal input and a global asset.  

There is a part of every continent in another. Be it culture or technology or language or people, we have shared far more than we care to acknowledge.   

 The African fashion industry’s passionate movement, which in a bid to make a statement for itself much distinctive from the English idealisms of fashion, settled itself in Ankara like the robust market woman claiming her stall spot –although the very goods in question carry strong foreign history in production, supposedly from the Javanese, to the Dutch, it’s quite lost to me.

One would argue though, the premise to settle from an integral explorative fashion perspective that Ankara basically has no miscellany in texture and its vibrant patterns poses as an attention seeker even when one chooses not to make such a statement. Hence here’s to those who love Ankara but can’t wear it all the time.

But here's this though, Ankara really has until recent time where occasionally more fabric has been explored with it, been just cotton with the African prints and we didn’t even discover cotton. Silk was discovered in China but is being incorporated into fashion all over the world today and still a Chinese woman or man’s “Chineseness” isn’t judged on their unwavering adherence to wearing apparels showing off their cultural designs on silk. It is judged on their perseverance to better their nation, their resourcefulness and their beliefs as a people and this is a worldwide thing. This is what my Africaness, my Nigerianess should be judged by, my Pan-Africanism. 

Regarding the fashion industry, it should be on how we are able to incorporate various fabrics both indigenous and foreign into our creativity. On improving how fashion is perceived by Africans and the entire world and also producing for global consumption, hence improving our various countries both economically and culturally. So just because I wear denim or plaid or cashmere doesn’t make me any less African it just goes to show that I wholly indulge diversity. I mean It is as synonymous as insinuating because I drive a car, watch T.V and eat croissants –all foreign creations, I am any less so. 





So let me define for you my Africaness. It is in some of the things you cannot see, the things I feel, the experiences I live through, the language I claim as my own, my roots, my love for this continent. These aren’t wholly relative to all Africans. But what is distinctive of us all, is our ancestral heritage and our desire to better the continent. 

Therefore, English is for Elizabeth, French is for Francesca, Italian is for Iago, Hindi is for Hasvi, Mandarin is for Ming-Yue, Idoma is for Ijato (Yea, I did that on purpose). But we can share cultures without losing our identities, we should. And if we have been, we should continue to. We have wholeheartedly shared civilization so far, so what about doing the same with culture?  I mean isn’t that what cultural globalization is all about anyway? And in my opinion, it’s a pretty damn good thing!
Cue, and I vamoose.





My heart goes out to all the people who have been hit by the recent appalling civil unrest, if anything Nigerians and the agitators of Biafra, this should teach us all that peace is always the better option.

PS: in case you guessed, I’m affirming that those are indeed pyjama trousers.
A hi nya, with love, x E

Directing // Ene Ijato
Photographed by // Onyebuchi Ugwu
Editing // Ene Ijato
Styling // Ene Ijato


You May Also Like

11 comments

  1. the same applies to religion... since we've willfully thrown away ours to accept the religion of the foreigners, going around ranting and boasting shouting religions we know nothing about, killing our kind, mutilating our cultures and letting it teach us how to think. Not like I worship obatanla tho...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I understand your thoughts, our religious differences shouldn't define us or how we perceive people. Thanks for the feedback. ❤ E

      Delete
  2. I still can't wrap my head around why a parent would bar their children from speaking their mother tongue.
    Nice article as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neocolonization, they still feel their heritage is uncivilized and inferior. Thanks for stopping by as always, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. ❤ E

      Delete
  3. love the point you have hammered here, which is the hypocrisy in Africans, going back to the example of driving a car which is foreign tech, yes people in Nigeria criticise one for putting on jeans and some T-shirts but they have phones, they go to the internet and also they drive cars, that is just hypocrisy! Transplanting cultures is a beautiful thing as you noted except when they start transplanting far left culture if you know what I mean... lol, but yes how can we resolve this and come to the fact that everyday and with persuasive factors such a the internet, the world is becoming global but yet it cannot have one history.
    One may be chocolate or white or black, have long soft hair or short thick hair, may love to put on scanty outfits or whole covering but still everyone has red blood and that is where we are similar, by being human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inalegwu, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Yes, although we may not have the same history, it is the beauty of diversity, we share humanity. ❤ E

      Delete
  4. There you go.. I like the line of thought and how the message is conveyed
    Cool stq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ridhwan, I'm glad you enjoyed the read! ❤ E

      Delete
  5. Well, I wouldn't want to say you've said it all but the content of your piece is enriching. Many people keep tagging one's inability to speak English as illiteracy. They forgot that nobody is an illiterate, everyone is a "Literate" of his or her own culture. Kudos EJ, you a BOOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deemplez, your words are so true and so kind. I'm glad you stopped by ❤ E

      Delete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press