A CANDID LOVE AFFAIR

by - August 01, 2017





Trousers, an oversized jacket, nothing less, and anything else you want to throw at me, I’m your girl.









As much as I’d speak on about how lovely a friend looks in a mini skirt or how amazing another looks in shorts so high up save for buttocks skin, I’d never actually wear those pieces of clothing. Perhaps this choice could be due to the fact that I’ve grown up in conservative Northern Nigeria or my parent’s constant over-the-shoulder-look on what it means in our African society to not be sending the wrong message. I am however certain my choice to wear more clothing than less is me trying to look quite bigger than my self-decided petite frame can allow. 




I revel in a candid love affair with oversized clothing encompassing sharp edges and bulky frames, trousers are always a staple because I’m a sucker for comfort and carefree body movements whilst saving face and keeping necessary decency in public eye. This love affair apparently makes my mother think I’m trying so hard to not look female because she constantly gifts me with overly frilly dresses and watches me with that typical judgemental parental gaze as I slide in a pair of bogus trousers underneath them. (But alas she has since given up)



I like clothing that has character, that has a unique visual story to tell, because I like these things and I want the clothes I wear to reflect this. I like the oddballs, the misfits, I like the ordinary and the complex, I like the bold and the subtle, and I like them when they play into a picture together.

So, pardon me if you do not get my humorous skirt, or my chunky exaggerated shoulder padded jacket, or in this precise case the abstract stroke skirt I wore as a dress, I candidly cannot help whatever love throws my way.
 

And in the spirit of all things candid, please do leave me messages, comments, here in the comment section below or on social media or by email on what you’d like to see on the blog, on the things you’d like to change, or even on the things you’d not like to see at all! For make no mistake your opinions and interests matter awfully much to me.

I have been missing in action recently as I have been immersed in a mountainous build of school books I have abandoned for quite long and couldn’t help but dive back into, I hope you understand. And as the rains have become increasingly present in our day to day lives, the days continue to bring the season to an end. School’s pretty much as intense and my hand-outs and textbooks won’t read themselves

You’ll hear from me in a while, as always
Wham Bam! With love, x EJ

Vintage jacket from the father
Denim trouser thrifted
Abstract stroke skirt self-sewn(DIY)
While shoes by Zara
White sneakers by Aerosole

You May Also Like

3 comments

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press