THE BRAZEN FLARE OF THE UNKNOWN

by - June 20, 2017





And my Father had to ask me where my feet/legs had disappeared to, ‘feetless at this moment.’ I told him. Shaking his head, he walks away with an amused look on his face as all grownups seem inclined to do, as if to say “Kids these days!”








Perhaps I’ve become used to it, the stares of disapproval from strangers who know nothing about me and through some supposed miraculous revelation judge my differentness. It might have stemmed from years of wearing baggy jeans and boob-cut shirts for Christmas when most girls my age wore skirts and dresses, or the drawer of weirdly shaped trousers I happily wore to play-meets. But realistically, there’s only so much wardrobe choices for a child who likes to climb trees or play obstacle race with her brothers. Surely staging wrestling where I pretend to be the Undertaker is no easy feat with a skirt or wrapper holding my legs together or constantly making me worry about accidentally flashing my ‘ring’ partner and the audience my underwear. (I admit I was some rascal child).






It’s relatively a tricky thing for a girl who has always loved comfortable clothing to be judged on the very premise of carrying on with this culture after childhood perhaps in more urbane (and slightly crazed) fashion. It’s quite okay I think to be a Tomboy at least they seem to have integrated well into most societies so far. But to not fit into both sides of the coin, the “girly girl” or the tomboy hasn’t quite been as much understood. Especially in a very conservative city like Minna.  




If history has taught us anything, it is that people tend to be overly cautious of things they do not know. They’d rather shun it than try to understand it. They would perhaps submerge reason on religious contexts or coarsely scrutinize it through their own self-coined ethos on morality. But the unknown remains a delicate subject every so often met with disapproval. 

Labels are part of a coping mechanism society has devised to stay abreast of judgement. To be part of the unknown means you do not fit into a myriad of definable labels, which apparently is not normal. 



Belonging to the unknown, the weird, the misfit has not bent me. There is however an unexplainable charge that emanates from belonging. It surges me forward to embrace who I am, to embrace the stares and unsolicited comments from people asking me questions like “don’t you feel out of place?” or plainly stating “you dress weird, you think weird, you’re just weird.” They say it as though it bothers them that I am unfazed, unashamed and awfully comfortable with who I am. Perhaps this is what makes me brazen, the thought that I make people question the norm. 

So, I remain in-between in a lot of things. I wear the labels I give myself and if being an unknown is also a label by default, I embrace it. I mean it’s like being some badass extra-terrestrial that has been at least seen… (humour me!)




Wear what you’re comfortable with, be it realistic or not. Be who you’re comfortable with whether people will accept it or not, it usually isn’t a smooth ride but there is nothing better than being true to one’s self. In the end, you and only you are accountable for your life and the decisions you make. Perhaps you’re big on showing skin or you carry your face bare of makeup, own it. Maybe you’re a girl who hates pink or a boy who loves it, do not make people question your preferences or sexuality based on colours. It is incredible how there is no authentic proof that colour is gendered at all!  

It would please you to know that I felt like a badass Harajuku-Victorian trotting down the streets in this outfit. With all the eyes staring towards my general direction (I couldn’t pay mind to the emotion those stares relayed trying to focus on my swoon worthy poses. lol) I’m sure If Buhari had driven down the street no one would have noticed.
I obviously joke!
I remain your faithful weirdo.

P.S, do leave me your amazing comments down below in the recently battled demon of a comment box,(amateurish coding dilemma people!)

Wham Bam! With love, x EJ
Last Week.
Book // Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Music // Future looks good by One Republic
Movie // Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Very witty and humorous post. I just stumbled on your blog and although not really big on fashion, your writing style has me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I'm so gladened by your kind words, thanks for stopping by and keep stopping by! ❤ E

      Delete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press