HARMATAN OF 18

by - November 24, 2018







Fruits, brushstrokes of colour, and harmattan life hacks to the rescue.








 Harmattan has finally begun to sneak in its long arid claws into our lives. The windy air laced with the smell of dust and time recalled. Of chapped lips, cracked ashen skins and a caricature ghost town.



  I have always possessed a somewhat ambiguous relationship with harmattan, one fuelled by both love and dread. Love for the cold air and the nostalgia it brings and dread, for the way the weather seems to be apparently designed to unleash hell on my skin and hair. As a first-grade dry-skinned human, it feels like my skin is made of cardboard most times, but at its worst during harmattan. So, over the course of my life, I have learnt through various trials, how to drift through harmattan with far less calamity than usual.




If for anything, the cases of health issues that flit in with the season is something to look at. From the flu, to common colds, to fevers in their varying extremities, taking good care of our body is where to start. A healthy diet with ample fruit and vegetable consumption should not be neglected and sealed in with generous water consumption for adequate hydration. Trust me, your bladder business would be worth it. And you can always add in vitamin supplements just to be extra sure.

Then comes the important aspect of oils, if you’re a dry-skinned person also, you would know how life saving the right body oil is to “un-cardboard” that skin. For normal skin types depending on how harsh the weather is at your location, I would recommend baby oil, but I fear it may not suffice for dry skins, in which case denser oils like glycerine, castor oil, and petroleum jelly would be a saver. I personally use a mixture of shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil, to achieve well moisturised and glowing skin during this period.


 
For the lips, I endeavour to exfoliate regularly with a homemade sugar and honey mixture. For moisturizing, I use mostly balms and gloss. 

My hair is always braided into a protective style and covered with a scarf when I go out. And I regularly spritz it with water and moisturise with leave-in conditioners because let’s face it hair breakage this season, is real.

Clothing is a tricky business because this early into the harmattan, we are blessed with chilly mornings and nights, and afternoons with the sun overhead melting our skins. So, I ordinarily wear a cosy jacket in the mornings when I go out, with a light weight blouse underneath, so when the sun begins work, I take off the jacket and wound it around my waist or fold it into my bag until it gets chilly at night-time again. 

To protect the feet, good cotton socks are needed, and generous amounts of petroleum jelly on the sole of my feet to keep it moisturized and to prevent it from cracking endlessly. Having a pedicure this period is something worth doing if you’re not always one to spend time and money pampering your feet.



So there we have it my harmattan life hack, for the season. I hope you ride this harmattan out smoothly.

Here I was thinking that with school work out of the way I would have more time to create content and post but alas, clearly that has not been the case. But nevertheless, I shall continue to try.

A hi nya, with love, x E
Photography || Ene Ijato assisted by Titus Zhiri 
Styling || Ene Ijato

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Your oil combination is a good one for this type of season. As for Petroleum jelly I don't much recommend it even though the individual has a dry skin because it's not a body cream neither is it a moisturizer. It's a sealent which helps create a thick barrier between the skin and it's environment. It doesn't goes into the skin like oil do.
    Individuals with dry skin can mix their cream with the oils you've said and it would work for them.
    It's nice knowing your blog through a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press