HAIR

by - November 02, 2018





. This is hair, a thing that is so mundane yet so powerful.










Isn’t it ironic that a thing such as hair defines a lot of facets the likes of beauty, modesty, professionalism status quo? An oddity of protein presented in the form of a strand-like mass cumulated in its upmost on the head of an individual. This is hair, a thing that is so mundane yet so powerful. 

There have been many things that have compelled me to write this. It might perhaps be the time when Mama Ene called my braid-out unkempt or when a child of six sat on a saloon chair and smiled with glee at her newly relaxed hair. Or it could be the time when a security guard at my Uni seized my ID card because he felt my hair was wrong. Ugly because it wasn’t lying flat or packed tight submissively but wildly beautiful, he didn’t know that kind of beauty. The elation I felt from telling him my hair was being as it was made and no authority could tell it to be otherwise must have been the adrenaline that surged me to my computer to write this, it was. 

I recently looked through the flaps of photo albums stacked in storage and realized I never had a childhood photograph (younger me didn’t exactly like the camera much) where my hair was its real self. From the loose curls of baby hair, straight to the thin flats of flat-ironed or relaxed hair. My mother was most likely thinking of the easiest way to manage my hair when she made such an early conversion to heat and chemicals. The child me was though most pleased to own straight hair like the olive-skinned people she was accustomed to on Disney and Nickelodeon, and when she didn’t wear it in cornrows she would let it down and twirl it around. She loved her chemically manipulated straight hair, the child me.   
          
When my childhood grew into the curious air of a teenager, I still liked my hair straightened with a constant indulgence of flat irons and hot combs. I had been so ingrained into the societal brainwash that defined beauty by straight hair that I couldn’t see beauty without straight or permed hair.
In my significant life journey, after hair burns from chemicals and excessive breakage from trying to make my hair what it was not and had refused to be, I experienced a restlessness disguised as stillness. I stared my reflection in the mirror and realized the struggle, the strangeness that stared right back at me and I picked up a scissors and chopped it away. 

At first I marvelled at the bean-shaped size of my head bare of hair, running my hands over it, I laughed with happiness. It was the frightening yet hopeful kind of growth, the type that holds your breath and empties your chest of the stranger that was once there. I watched my hair grow into the months, realised how beautifully springy it was, how sensually soft it felt pampered with moisture and how wildly it spun off wilfully in all directions. 

Perhaps this was when I truly fell in love with it, when I realised that much like me, my hair had its own will and wouldn’t be tamed. It was wild, rebellious and the trouble of my life and I loved it! It didn’t want to be anything but itself, it wanted to be left alone to be by anyone who didn’t love it as itself, including me, and there is nothing more beautiful than this.

So, dear future partner if you’ve been fantasizing running your hands through silky hair, I believe now’s the time to pray fate changes your course from my direction. 

Lol I joke, I unfortunately possess no belief in fate.



A hi nya, with love, x E
Photography || Ene Ijato
Styling || Ene Ijato
Makeup || Ene Ijato


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This article reminds me of how myopic people are in there way of reasoning. A lady once said it's only those that doesn't have money to take good care of their hair that usually keeps it natural.
    I was like girl, you need to do some unlearning and relearning.
    The society has redefined the meaning of neat hair to some individuals which is wrong.
    Natural hair are the most expensive hair to take care of.
    Organic producths are not cheap like the relaxer they use.
    And natural hairs are unique in a special way that some individuals don't see.
    Keeping hair is something I love but then, my parents comes into play with the mind set that I look rough and irresponsible when I do so.

    In all, I would say something I learnt from Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche which is, we should all redefine the meaning of neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually in conformity with my reasonings to my mom. I'm a young black man with a paled hair, i like to think i'm a blonde blackman. She tells me to cut it down or dye it black but i always tell her that i have nothing to be ashamed of cos it's my God given,natural hair and i love it. People now dye their hairs brown you know.

    ReplyDelete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press