RED THE FESTIVE

by - December 28, 2017

PERSONAL

Happy holidays; eat, pray, love.







So indeed here we are again, another December crossed with one too many to eat, drink and laugh about. Familial gatherings filled with jollof rice, fried rice, ona and soup, pepper-soup, deep fried meat, chin-chin, bubbly drinks with clattering glasses, stories and mock chatter and gossips thrown about in the air.



Your Uncle from abroad will fondly complain about relatives who behave as if people who live overseas shit gold there. Your Aunty will talk about her big government job, how she has been promoted and was eating easy money from the federal government office she worked in, a few angry comments will ensue from flared tempers and dug up trespasses, you will watch and your presence will hang over this like the birds that sit on trees watching the things about humans that confounds them. 




I leave for my ancestral hometowns in a few days, and oh how I look forward to comments about my womanliness, with aged relatives sporting dwindling eye-sights getting touchy, the hard truth about what becomes of youthfulness come a few decades knocking me off my feet, cousins one too many that I can hardy place all their names or even faces cramming me into a corner of guilt. And the sweet, sweet air of village life, with natural sounds and beautiful silence. The sound of nature untainted slowly enjoying its depleting grip on the earth.



I however sincerely hope you have a much more exciting holiday than I’ve had so far. Truly.





But in all, it’s the season to be jolly I suppose, so we will accommodate these nuances and revel in them. We will wear our red lipsticks or not and plaids or not, and heels or not, we will smile so broadly our cheeks will ache, we will eat, pray and love as we always have. We will wear red, we will be festive.








 So in spite of all the fuss about the festivities of December, those of you who don’t indulge at all, believe me, you are by far the luckiest, my overworked hands tell no tales. And no I am not out to ruin your beautiful unfestive lives with my anecdotes and familial traditions. I’m not even a fan of traditions in the first place.
Last post of the year I’m afraid, looking forward to the exciting new journey that begins with 2018! Hope y’all don’t abandon me though, lol. Enormously grateful to you all for taking the time to always be here, thank you for creating this space with me, means more to me than you know. Have yourselves some beautiful days ahead.
A hi nya, with love, x E


You May Also Like

0 comments

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press