CARRY GO

by - November 30, 2017




CULTURE

In the course of your self-discovery, you will become better, and you will say to the things that you once thought you were, “carry go!”











I hope you know this, that your mind is limited only to the things you know. That there is so much more for you to know, that you are only just beginning to know. 





Growing up, I used to be that girl who asked all the questions, you know that child you meet in the bus who sits by her catering adult and gazes into the eyes of strangers and wouldn’t shut up. And then when she finally did shut up after being scolded with the sharp condescending tone of her catering adult, she would sit by the window and watch wistfully, eyes filled with wonder, throat aching with swallowed words and she would drift somewhere quite far off as she people watched and tried to hold in the well threatening to spill from her watered eyes. 


Sometimes I wonder if I do not cry anymore because as a child I was filled with so much emotion and I did not know how to be hard and emotionally vacant as the world for the most part has taught us to be and I had cried all my tears in my childhood(take this from a child who cried to Tales by Moonlight and Mulan). I do not know how long my tear drought has been for, but it has been very long.










I cried recently you see, I cried as I stood in the midst of a vast savanna and saw a child, hair full of cowries beautifully wrapped, holding a child to her chest, and mothering it. I cried as a woman from a Gbagi village touched her knees to the ground to show me gratitude for 50 naira, I cried as I watched the news and saw the atrocity going on in Libya. I cried because I was confused and did not know what to feel about these things, privileged? Gratitude for faring well off? Anger? Sadness?

 I cried because I remembered the girl on the bus full of wonder and simplicity and an aching desire to know the things she did not know. The girl who slowly and slowly had been buried beneath caution and a façade of exaggerated strength.















The recently revealed deplorable act on-going in Libya, setting the course of humankind back decades, the idea that human beings can be forced to live as lesser beings to others, bought and sold and used and murdered. That a group of people who have heads sitting on their necks would think that they are by existence superior to others, that they would stare into the eyes of living breathing human beings like them and not see the reflection of their own existence.

I refuse to lose faith in our humanity.

In the midst of all the troubling things the world has inflicted on us, the world being the people who did not know enough to know the wrong they wrought and those who became a product of this vicious cycle by default. I hope you realize that what you know is nothing compared to what you do not know, and that you need to constantly try to be a better human being. I hope you know that you will continue to be a work in progress until you draw your last breath, and this is okay. 







To all the things that keep me wondering at night, all the things that need to carry themselves and go!
   
I apologize for my recent inconsistency here on the blog, just here conquering one honest hustle after the other, I shall try to do better. Procrastination, is one amongst many things in my life that needs to also carry itself and go!
What will you be telling to carry go? Leave me your comments below, and as always, thank you so much for the love and support and for continuously being on this space.
A hi nya, with love, x E



Photography & Editing|| Ene Ijato and assisted by Onyebuchi Ugwu
Creative directing || Ene Ijato
Styling || Ene Ijato




You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. I love this, you are right, what someone knows is nothing compared indeed to what he or she doesn't know.
    I discovered today that in someplace in India, people still sacrifice their new born babies to a river by tossing the baby into the river.
    You said you couldn't cry😆 go listen to "The Man Who Could Not Cry" by Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Inalegwu, you're so kind. It's a really good book. ❤ E

      Delete
  2. Touching piece. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever so kind, thank you for being here. ❤ E

      Delete
  3. The pain in this happenings dear, I don't have words.
    We are totally getting out of control and we don't seem to know this yet, but who am I right? A nobody, so I can only humbly bow at humanity which in truth has lost its human face.
    Besides, this is a very beautiful piece, keep soaring babe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such lovely words! thank you dear, and I'm glad you enjoyed the read. ❤ E

      Delete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press