CHASING THE GRAND

by - December 16, 2018








Continuously, a question lingers at the edge of my throat. A question about the entities of necessity we allow to consume us. What is desired? How much is enough? At the edge of my throat, it lingers, this quiet question. But I am not choked by my inadequacy of a befitting answer, I am rather engrossed in a futile yet momentarily satisfying form of distraction. Because some questions are harder to answer than others.






Last week I had an enjoyable conversation with an amiable vegetable seller in the market. She complained about the weather, the government and old age. She told me about her daughter who was around my age and was having her first child soon. She seemed happy to be a grandmother. The corners of her eyes crinkling with soft happiness.

As I watched her, I felt like I was folded into a moment where the only thing that mattered was the green smell of vegetables sliced through by very sharp stainless-steel knife, and me touching her happiness with my tongue and refusing to welcome the foreign taste in my mouth. 

It tasted strange because I could not understand it. It was not the kind of happiness I could share because I did not understand how to want it.






What kind of happiness did I desire? The kind carried by a travelling foot. Rubbed into skin of fulfilled dreams. Buried underneath the layers of a restless heart. I desire the kind of happiness one desires in the prime of youth. Complete with mad anxiety.

How much would be enough? Muscles-full of fatigue. Skin deep shrivelled with age. Heart bursting through, filled with experience. Maybe.





I am chasing the grand, as a lot of us are. Our grand idealistic dreams that we savour with tongues shivering in uncertainty. Our dreams, they vary. The taste of happiness on our tongues are different. The feet we carry, diverse. The hearts that carry us, assorted. 

We hold on to these hopes, even if they leave us empty sometimes, screaming soundlessly into a world consumed with noise. 

We hold on because we cannot stop ourselves from wanting the taste of happiness.  



A hi nya, with love, x E
Photography || Ene Ijato 
Styling || Ene Ijato



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. [URL=https://naviadv.com]In NAVI[/URL]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness differs.
    I just hope the woman's daughter is happy, just as her mother is happy about having a grandchild soon.
    Individuals like her makes ot looks like marriage is an achievement to me because I wonder the essence of telling me her expectation for a grandchild.

    ReplyDelete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press