WILD FLOWER

by - June 11, 2018











PERSONAL

To live life so freely you hold on to nothing, but live for everything








Last week someone asked me what freedom meant to me. I lifted my gaze to level with hers and for a moment I willed her see it in my eyes, because in that instant my mind searched for all the words it could contrive to define freedom and my throat bubbled with emptiness.


In my mind I pictured my feet moving to places it wanted to go to, my heart wilfully spread-out and full of insurmountable love for the strange and the ordinary things. My thoughts filled with hope for things yet unseen and undone. To voluntarily allow myself to be overwhelmed by the simple beauty of common joys. To allow myself take in all the falls and failures and still thrive into the woman I have chosen to be. 



I like to think that there is a certain kind of unquestionable passion that emanates from a place deep inside us and that it has no limits, but is only inhibited by our insecurities. To live life so freely you hold on to nothing, but live for everything. You give love with no expectations and measure because there really is no limit to the amount of love you can give. To simply bloom tended to by everything and for everything. 




The world has taught us the slogan, “to each their own”; the commonly accepted phrase to claim particular responsibility, yet it possesses a certain subtle deception to liberate the undertones of selfishness in a way that makes us think nothing of the act of being selfish. So we choose whom to give love to and whom not to, whom to pray for and whom not to, whom to care about and whom not to and we choose to accept this lifestyle as the appropriate measure of selfishness while we berate and slap our cheeks at those who do not measure up or those who surpass this ‘appropriate measure’. 


I have tried to train myself to the socially acceptable notion of specially giving and being specially gifted, specially loving and being specially loved and I have neither the ability to carry out each respective pair with sincerity. 




I am perhaps what you would call a wild flower, the type you find in unexpected places with the strangest of appearances and the unbelonging of a wanderer. I couldn’t sit pretty on a polished window with the finest of decors in the grandest of bright light and the purest of water because my roots were designed to wander. I couldn’t bloom for a specific few because I thrive better in the open air and in the vastness of grounds.


One of the most beautiful things in life is being true to one’s self; the sincerity in admitting to a state of being. In holding onto the broken pieces of yourself you have learnt to chip off and fold away from the judgemental eyes of society and wearing them like regalia. To be audaciously and unapologetically an individual, with or without a broken sense of humour, guffawing or not at the ironic meticulous nonsensicality of a normal life.



This is what freedom means to me. 

 I sincerely hope you understand that I write because I must. Even though the internet apparently stops with Instagram and twitter and gossip websites these days, I write because I know that I have to for the sake of my thoughts that desire a means to vent, and for you because I like how your brain muses and muses and keeps coming back here for more musings.

I digress to allow us take a moment to look back at my marvellously good hair, on a good hair day.
P.S what does freedom mean to you?

     A hi nya, with love, x E

Photography || Ene Ijato assisted by Titus Zhiri
Creative directing || Ene Ijato
Styling || Ene Ijato


You May Also Like

0 comments

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press