ARTWORK

by - March 20, 2017



In which wearing a skirt for a shirt, a flower crown as a neck-piece, and tie-end trousers becomes your own form of wearable artwork.
 









Have you ever tried wearing something in ways unintended by the designer? Well that’s my life’s story. I remember having my father ask me if I couldn’t take a simple instruction without questioning it and wondering if it could be done a different way. I was just around eight years at the time. (well to be fair I did follow my mathematics and sciences to the later most of the times because well It is takes a certain level of interest and understanding of a thing to want to try it differently.)
In which my interest has always been in the more artistic and creative things. Of course, I studied and passed mathematics and other sciences and sometimes I did enjoy learning them. But interest delivers a deeper sense of productivity, although, this is not to say one only ought to devote their time to innate interests, there are somethings you didn’t formerly like that practice makes you develop an interest in. In my case, it would be mathematics and the sciences. But I digress, we shall revisit the topic in which wearing a skirt as a shirt, a flower crown as a neckpiece, and tie-end trousers becomes your own form of wearable artwork.  






Once I wore a shirt backwards all day, wore a jacket as a skirt, wore a waist belt as a choker, a neck scarf as a waist belt, etcetera all intentional by the way. I found people staring at me like I were an ekuku masquerade or some lunatic who escaped the mental ward and couldn’t imitate sanity to fit in. I found myself smiling all teeth or winking if the said person was at a distance.
There is a level of artistry expressed in runway fashion that has been sustained for so long as impractical fashion. But how about implementing a certain degree of the premise of runway fashion pieces to fit into the confines of your wardrobes eh? Be adventurous in the littlest of things or in parallel, try to imitate insanity. 
Go a little crazy with your clothing and experiment. (Be warned though, a lot of unsolicited stares and questions of “are you crazy?” coming your way) I believe that a vast number of us have embraced the rigidity of being confined to the paradigms of inconsequential laws imposed on us all on the basis of morality. (dear grownups please do not cluck your teeth at this remark)  
Your hair is too long for a boy (Did the length specifications come with my placenta?), your hair too short for a girl (Oh, I’m a girl). (You look like a crazy person (well, sanity is relative), you look irresponsible (I feed my dog every day). In situations like this, I think sarcasm works best unless well it’s your school authority in which case I say, “Defy at your own risk!” although I find the imposition of dress codes (a personal perspective on morality) to be stifling and controlling, it is a discussion for another day.





Presenting ourselves as artworks, as subversives and creatives spellbound to creating style from the simplest of things. By daring to try things differently this in what fashion in our generation should portray. An exploration of the things formerly unexplored.
But not just in fashion, in every aspect of life I believe we need to look at different ways to interpret things, arrive at solutions in different ways and relate to situations on personal perspectives. It may be a long shot to change things in this generation where as youths we do not control the chains of power, but on the path to becoming the people who will, we need to build a society that is less judgemental and more accepting of the bold and the different.



                So, I recently saw Disney’s Moana and I must say, Disney has finally grown up from thin-boned Barbie looking princesses to the thick and curvy fiery warrior gal. See, humanity isn’t such a lost cause.
                Meanwhile, the growth of the readership community on this blog is surreal, I cannot thank you guys enough for indulging my truthful insanities. I haven’t forgotten my promised giveaway I promise, but like the biblical use of the word ‘soon’ it’s coming at an appropriate time.


A lot of my Uni friends are probably starting exams this week or have already started. All the best with your study routines and ace em!

Wham Bam! With love, x EJ

Photography // Echiebe
Studio // Studio91
Styling // Ene Ijato
Wearing; Shoes by Groove// trousers by Ejato // skirt by Forever21


You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. Wham Bam! The sound of you hitting another one outta the park right? Another Touchdown/Homerun/Slam dunk Puskas Worthy Goal.
    Well Ene this was definitely my first opinion wen I saw you 'who was this girl so bold as to break away from the conformity of fashion trends'
    Wonderful to see you express your motivations so eloquently (yet again)
    Till next Monday Seya Nara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The satisfaction that comes with just 'daring' to be different is overtly unparalleled
    Very nice, relatable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ridhwan,I'm glad you can relate. X Ene.I

      Delete
  3. Get it girl!! Love these pictures btw! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ❤, you can just show me so much love.

      Delete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press