FINE GIRL

by - February 19, 2017





We can never be more than what is within us.



I remember precisely, when I was in primary school my English teacher Mr. Osezua teaching on adjectives in their original form, the comparative and superlative. He called me out to the front of the classroom alongside two of my classmates and he used the adjective pretty. He began;
‘Ene is pretty, Kubiat is prettier than Ene and Favour is the prettiest of the three girls.’
This moment first of all brought to me the realisation that I was pretty, then it would go along to forever cement in my head that I’d be pretty but I’d never be the prettiest girl. I would be Ene, the pretty and that was all, needless to say I didn’t like it one bit. In my over-active childish imagination, I envisioned a pyramid of pretty girls and saw myself at the bottom and the feeling did not sit well in the pit of my stomach. I realised that pretty wouldn’t be enough, it couldn’t define me, I wouldn’t let it. So I worked harder at self-development; read more books, joined the school Choral group and almost every extracurricular club I could engage myself in, these perhaps were the moments that built me.



 

In the constant movement of our minds between our various endeavours, our image and how we desire to be seen. There is indeed a constant reminder that we can never be more than what is within us. We are people, trying to find our place in a world so vain and so extraordinary drawn to the trivialities of life. The glamourous lifestyles, beautiful skins, beautiful faces and our self-worth hanging over how many likes we get on social media.

 It would be hypocritical to say these things do not matter but it would be far worse to pretend that they actually do. A paradox you say? Not really. It’s as simple as saying in fashion speak that they are like jewellery. Some people look just as good without jewellery as some people who wear jewellery. It happens because perhaps they have on a pair of fire-trousers that draw you in like a moth. Or an attractive aura that radiates beyond the capacity of sight, it could be their eccentric nature and the way they command attention or so many other things that stumps equal ground with the gleams of jewellery.

We can’t all own these jewelleries, it is simply not the way the world was designed to function. But we can make our own fire-trousers and harness our own eccentricities and command our own aura. It is about finding that thing (those things) that make(s) you turn out like fine wine as you grow more into yourself. 




So as a young adult I have come to know that I do not need the label pretty, I am a fine girl because fine is an adjective earned and decided upon by my efforts to grow to be a better person. It is not handed to me by the genetics of perfectly placed physical features but by my willingness to accept myself for who I am and gradually grow into the girl I want to be.

And at the risk of sounding cliché, I am goddamn fine!






So, an unfortunate thing occurred at my Uni. A student died due to alleged negligence by the nursing staff and jungle justice apparently took up arms to settle the score. A part of the clinic was burnt down, buildings were vandalized, ATM machines… A two weeks’ break was issued to students to assess the extent of damage done and here I sit typing away on my computer and making a to-do list of extracurriculars to tick off. I perhaps have some degree of free time on my hands, so I would very much like to know from you guys if you’d want more frequent posts asides the weekly regular (comment your thoughts below).
               
 P.S; I’m experimenting on a new template and will be making a few changes to the blog, what are your thoughts on this?

Velvet camisole by Ejato
Prints over-sized coat by Lingers          

Photography : Ene Ijato
Styling : Ene Ijato



You May Also Like

23 comments

  1. This came natural... wonderful caption too...you can only get better...PS: where are d smileys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charles and I bloody do not know what Smiley's you're talking about. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Quite short and brief, much better in my opinion...easily digestible, and the blog looks top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, the length of my writing really isn't planned, I just write until I'm all out. *dancing* to the top notch remark.

      Delete
  3. amazing article above....
    am anticipating for the new changes hopefully what i am expecting ........nice pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abdul (hope I can call you that), your words are kind, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. Nice perspective, i have met lots of scribbler....I would say you are up to something. I believe i am very much like you, here is the link to my blog ParadigmXngr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paradigm X, thanks for the read and I'm glad to hear from you. I'll definitely check out your blog.

      Delete
  5. I just recently came across your blog Ene, ovely post. I can't gush about how much I enjoy reading your beautiful words, these amazing photographs. And good Lord your skin is like so clear. Tell me your secrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stranger, you're so kind. I'm glad you enjoyed the read, and my amateur photography skills, lol. I wish I had a legit secret to my skin care routine which is mostly inexistent but I'd see how telling it goes. I hope to see more of you here Stranger.

      Delete
  6. You keep slaying with everything you do in which also reflect on your blog posts. Also,you need not to ask about wanting to posts more; I mean, who wouldn't want that?. #KeepSlaying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patrick, I appreciate your kind words and how much you appreciate what I do. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Great piece.
    Concerning the frequency of your posts, I'd say you still keep posting weekly. If there's an overflow of idea or material it should be stored should writer's block set in. Then again, if you're such a prolific writer, a post in-between your weekly posts won't hurt. My two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Olamide. It is definitely something to think on. I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  8. Short? Long? Weekly? Daily? As long as you keep it coming consistently we'll keep coming back for your beautifully articulated word's. (TO borrow a star wars quote 'if you build it, they will come')
    As per the last line....... I Gotta whatever we consider 'fine' to mean....... You ARE godamn fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you are awfully sweet. Thanks for your wise words obi-wan Kenobi. I'll definitely build it. Thanks for the read X Ene

      Delete
  9. ENEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
    That's all...
    Good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chaat, lol I'm sure I understand what you mean exclusively. Thank you❤ X Ene

      Delete
  10. I must Say, took a little time for your work to evolve into a distinguished work of art. This shows the potential embedded in you. This is an outcry of hard work and exceptional skills. It's your Cliché (if I may). Own it. Use it. Dominate it. And I tell you, The Skies will be the take-off platform..
    I am proud, in my own way, and extremely happy for You, .. ENE. Keep it Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo! Took me a moment there to realize i'm the one you're talking about. I am deeply humbled by your kind words, really. You have no idea how much hearing this means to me. Thanks!❤ X Ene

      Delete
  11. Ene, nice piece, was magnetise to it after seing my dad's name on it. Thumbs up girl, soar high

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad is irrevocably one of the finest men I've have the pleasure of knowing. He inspired me in more ways than I can dare mention even as a child of 9, I saw it then and as a young adult I see it even more everyday. My regards and thanks for the read! X ❤Ene

      Delete
  12. Hey,
    Really enjoyed reading your post. It’s amazing ! Thank you for sharing with us :)


    Regards

    Apu

    Fine Girl Dress

    ReplyDelete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press