IN THE CHRONICLES OF WARDROBE MALFUNCTIONS

by - December 19, 2016

   CLOTHING

On Trans-weather dressing and the tragedy of wool turtlenecks and tweed coats under the scorching sun of the tropics at noon and thereafter.




There is a struggle living in a city with fickle weather consistency. This struggle is most aggravating when getting ready for an early morning class or meeting, how mordantly cold it is before 8am and how unbearably sweaty it gets by noon. Every so often I have found myself freezing on the bus in a T-shirt or sweating in my cashmere and wool. Racing with bated breath between classes, shoots and other engagements in which event I’m without doubt the amusement on university grounds –and not in the good way.

And as every struggle goes there most often follows the process of finding a solution; stumbling across epiphany, or just simply beckoning on the miraculous entry of serendipity. In my case, it would be the former, and after having conquered the struggles of trans-weather dressing, I decided to document said success on my way home from campus and detouring for a quick bite at Safara afterwards. (Hey don't judge! I only junk-up very, very infrequently)



 





 Back to the matter.



There are times when you’re sure of the state of the weather, like early January when the Harmattan cold bites the strongest here, or in continuous rains when the cold and humidity hangs limp in the air. But outside sure weather situations, I can never stress how much of chiffon, silk, satin and single layered velvet (if you like to go braless like myself) you need to possess preferably sleeveless. For this reason, occasional Fashion-prudes like myself would definitely indulge a generously lapelled/collared coat or jacket.

The primary purpose here is to not look like either an Eskimo or an Amazonian, layering should be avoided and sparse clothing as well. An up-do hairstyle to show grace underneath heavy collars is advised for females who do not possess ample neck length, and statement shoes to mask excessive attention to clothing is key.

Keeping it real though, if you’re a happy-feet like myself, then your statement shoes would not exceed three inches at maximum.



 In this case, I’m a bootie girl on platform heels.

Thanks to Chris Brown for reclaiming the classic 90's jacket/shirt around the waist into a unisex trend. So after the jacket/coat/shirt serves its purpose against the morning cold, it fancies you up still at noon on the waist while your undershirt or blouse carries you through the afternoon heat.

To all my awesome black will always be the new black friends I feel the pain. Black as long as it comes in the aforementioned breezy fabrics, a white-washed black jean and a cashmere or similarly light weight jacket can still conquer this dilemma.







                  I genuinely find it hilarious, every weather inclined wardrobe malfunction I have committed times before. The horrors of sweating underneath your clothing and having no backup plan or freezing inside it and remembering chivalry is dead. (To me at least!)

Oh Minna, you heart-breaker you.

Grey tweed coat - Message
Ballad blouse - Ejato
Stone-washed jeans - Sonoma
Black platform boots – ASOS
Sequined bagVintage
Ankara string bracelet – Ejato 

Photography – David Terra
Editing – Ene Ijato
Styling – Ene Ijato

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. I really do Enjoy your Writing,despite having little interest in the finer details of Fashion, I'm officially bookmarking Ejato's Canvas. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the read and I'm absolutely glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. u look more like a model....
    nd ur dressing sense is perfect.......
    #smooth_looks

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!!
    THank you for speaking my mind oooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice writeup
    but how about in cases when one is cooperately dressed?
    one cannot tie a blazer round the waist na...Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well due to the double standards still present in gendered fashion its quite more restrictive for males. i can for example still tie my blazer on my waist but a guy wouldn't want to. in this case, there is the option of holding it in the crook of your arm(lol i suggest lots of arm muscle exercises)or simply ditching tying it around your waist and getting an efficient carry-on bag it could fit into for the rest of the day. in the end it really boils down to your sense of style and how crazy you're willing to take it!

      Delete
  5. #word you're smart, you're intelligent
    Piece of art
    Shine on Enenu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, you're to kind!
      Thanks for the read I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. Awww this is really nice. I lovvee your blog ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! you're such a dear and I will checkout your blogs.

      Delete
  7. Check out mine
    Dupebunney.blogspot.com
    And
    Dupe0.WordPress.com

    ReplyDelete

Eager to hear your thoughts!

EJATO'S CANVAS

Fashion and a Nerd

Powered by Blogger.

Press